Representative Emanuel Cleaver protesting elimination of food stamps, Thursday 7/11/13. (Photo: cspan)
(AURN) -- After initially planning big cuts to the nation's food assistance program, House Republicans completely eliminated the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program--known as SNAP--when they passed the farm bill on Thursday.
After the move, House Democrats expressed outrage. Representative Corinne Brown (left) of Florida admonished her colleagues yelling, "Shame on you!"
GOP lawmakers opposed to the bill's inclusion of SNAP funding, said the program should stand alone, and not be part of a farm bill as it has for decades.
House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, said splitting the bill was "unusual" and not his preferred path forward, but "my goal is to get a farm bill passed."
The bill must now be reconciled with a Senate version passed last month which includes only modest cuts to the long time food assistance program.
Congressman Cleaver Speaks Out Against a 'Fake' Farm Bill
- D.C.to Raise Minimum Wage, Workers Protest
- President Obama Talks Income Inequality
- MSNBC Host Resigns After Incendiary Remarks
- Which U.S. City Will Be the Next Detroit?
- Daughter: Mandela on Deathbed
- NTSB Fields Questions on Train Derailment
- President Obama Commments on ACA Website
- White House Reacts to Detroit Bankruptcy