North Carolina Central University student Sheldon Mba is waiting for a bone marrow donor. He is currently suffering from aplistic anemia. (Courtesy: BeTheMatch.org)
(AURN) -- July is African-American Bone Marrow Awareness Month and BETHEMATCH.org is encouraging the black community to join the Be The Match Registry®, the world’s largest registry of potential bone marrow donors.
Be The Match connects patients with their donor match for a life-saving bone marrow or umbilical cord blood transplant. African American patients in need of a bone marrow transplant are nearly 30% less likely to find a potentially life-saving bone marrow donor compared to whites.
- The ONE Campaign Remembers Nelson Mandela
- Wrongfully Convicted Man Out After 30-Years
- A Call for Justice in Death of Georgia Teen
- Thousands Line Streets for Mandela Viewing
- White House Responds to Fake Interpreter
- Poll Numbers Down for President Obama
- Pope Francis: Person of the Year
- GOP Outreach Targets the Motor City