(AURN) -- Police in Arkansas say 21-year-old Chavis Carter was found shot in the head while sitting in the back of a police car. According to reports, Carter was arrested after failing to report to court on drug charges in addition to officers finding marijuana at the time of being taken into custody.
Reports say the African-American (left-handed) man was found dead of an apparent suicide where he was shot in the right temple, all while handcuffed. Officers Ron Marsh and Keith Baggett were responsible for the arrest and have been placed on leave during an investigation. Jonesboro Police Department Sgt. Lyle Waterworth: "As protocol, he was handcuffed behind his back, double-locked and searched." Chavis' mother tells WREG in Jonesboro she believes her son was killed by police.
- D.C.to Raise Minimum Wage, Workers Protest
- President Obama Talks Income Inequality
- MSNBC Host Resigns After Incendiary Remarks
- Which U.S. City Will Be the Next Detroit?
- Daughter: Mandela on Deathbed
- NTSB Fields Questions on Train Derailment
- President Obama Commments on ACA Website
- White House Reacts to Detroit Bankruptcy